Sunday, April 10, 2011

March 17, 2011

Hey! How's everyone doing?! Thanks for sending me the brackets mom and dad! One of my teachers is going to keep up with my bracket for me and let me know how I'm doing. haha. Gametime. Well this week at the MTC has been a good one. We've been working relly hard on the language. We've learned a good bit of the grammar and I can form sentences, it just takes me a minute to think things through. Every Wednesday night we teach return missionaries from Armenia who pose as investigators. Last Wednesday we taught in English but our teachers decided to make us teach in Armenian this week. I guess they wanted to baptize us by fire. All I have to say about this experience is WOW. haha. We were supposed to teach for 30 minutes. We were in there for 30 minutes but there wasn't much teaching going on. I taught them how we pray and I testified of Jesus Christ but thats about all I could get out. I can say simple senteces like "God loves you" or "God hears your prayers". We got into the room and there were two return missionaries. I felt pretty prepared going in but once they opened there mouth and starting speaking only one thought when through my head, "what the crap". haha. It was pretty ridiculous. I could pick up on one or two words in each sentence and I could understand the gist of what they were saying but I had no clue how to respond haha. There was a funny story from it though. Elder Hall asked them what they busy themselves with and one said they like to drink and smoke. Following which, he asked if we wanted to come drink wine with them next week. I looked at the other missionary and said no. I didn't have a clue what he said but I could tell by the look on the other missionaries face that I should say no. But Elder Hall looked straight at the returned missionary who asked it and said yes. haha. He asked again and Elder Hall said yes again. haha It was pretty funny afterwards when they told us. Oops. Even though the experience was really tough and frustrating, I know that it will come with time. We are trying to speak more Armenian as a district so that we can be more comfortable speaking. Sometimes I have to remind myself that I've only been here for two weeks and to be patient. haha. I was reading scriptures with Elder Buel and he showed me his favorite scripture and it really hit home with me this week. It's *Ether 12:27. This scripture is so true. Being here I've been able to see that I have many weaknesses. But I know that as I turn to the Lord and humble myself that He will turn my weaknesses into strengths as I'm faithful. What a blessing! I've seen it thus far in my mission and I've only been here two weeks. I'm so thankful for the strength that our Savior can give us, as long as we do our part and turn to Him. I love you all and am so thankful for you examples. I know that this Gospel is true and there is no where on earth that I'd rather be. I hope you all have great weeks and know that you're in my prayers!

*Ether 12:27
"And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them."

We would expect nothing less from Elder Fairclough than to be eating as many chocolate doughnuts as he can.

No comments:

Post a Comment