Thursday, April 19, 2012

April 9, 2012

Hey everyone!

It was great to hear from you all this week and to read the great
emails that you sent me. I appreciate all of your support more than
words can say and I'm thankful that you all do such a good job at
writing me! Things are going great here in Erebuni. This week was full
of its ups and downs, but I am so thankful for it all. There is
nowhere I would rather be or anything else I would rather be doing,
than being here in Armenia serving these people and the Lord. With
that being said, I'll go ahead and tell you all a little bit about my
week.
First of all, Abraham got baptized this last week! You all already
know but I figured I'd go ahead and tell you myself haha. We actually
weren't planning on him being baptized this last week but with
Conference being this next week we decided it would be better to do it
this last weekend. It was such an amazing experience. Serving here in
Erebuni has definitely had its difficulties, but it was so great to
really feel like I helped someone get on the path back to our Father
in Heaven. Abraham is such a stud and it was showing on Saturday haha.
He was there in a suit and tie and was smiling from ear to ear. He
invited all of his family too so that they could see what path he is
going on. His family loved the baptism and their all asking us when we
can meet now! I'm going to send some pictures home but he really was
SO happy. It was great to see. He really understood that he was making
a covenant with God and it showed in his countenance. After being
baptized he got up and bore an amazing testimony. He shared
experiences of how he came to know that the Book of Mormon is true and
how we aren't just his friends, but that we are his brothers. After
bearing his testimony, President Carter got up and had all the
missionaries who were there come up to the front and stand so that
Abraham could see us all. Abraham has already voiced that he wants to
serve a mission and so President Carter got up and spoke to him about
how he'll be serving in Armenia for another year and a half and that
he has to wait a year before he can serve a mission, but that he wants
to be the one to send him off. Abraham was beaming when he said that.
It was so great. Then yesterday he received the Holy Ghost. Abraham
had asked me to baptize him and for Elder Rackham to give him the Holy
Ghost. Elder Rackham was really nervous but he did an amazing job. I
was so proud of him. And again, Abraham had the biggest smile on his
face. After he church he talked to Branch President about the
Priesthood and he told us that he wants to start talking to Branch
President about serving a mission. He also told us that he wants to
come to meetings with us and street contact with us too. I have a
really great feeling about Abraham and I have since we met him. I
think he is going to be a great strength to the church here and that
he is going to bring a lot of people to the church. I'm excited to see
him grow!
This last week we were able to pick up Abraham's brother as an
investigator and we are hoping to pick up the rest of his family as
well. They are all calling us and asking us when we can meet which has
been really cool for us. We are looking forward to involving Abraham
in the process of teaching his family and we are hoping that he can
put the Priesthood to use and baptize them! It really is a fun
experience for us. I'll be sure to let you all know how it comes
along.
In other news, I was able to go to Charentsavan for a few minutes this
last week. Charentsavan is in our zone and we had to go there for a
baptismal interview for the elders that are serving there. I'm not
sure if you all remember Silva or not, but Elder Steglich and I taught
and baptized here when we were serving there. But the interviews were
for her daughter and grandson! I was so happy when I found that out.
Silva has been such a good missionary and has done such a good job at
sharing the gospel with her family. It is so great to see her not only
active, but also helping her loved ones find the happiness that she
has found. That is what it's all about right?!
I hope you all had a great Easter Sunday yesterday! It was definitely
a good one here. We ended up going over to Abraham's grandma's house
last night and apparently it is a tradition in Armenia to eat a boiled
egg on Easter. Everyone was so amazed that I had never eaten a boiled
egg haha. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. They then turned
on some Armenian music and made us dance for a few minutes. It is
ridiculous how much they make me dance! I don't even care anymore
haha.  I learned very early that my normal excuses that were regularly
used at stake dances do not cut it here with Armenians haha. I love
Armenia and the culture here. It really is extremely different from
home but it has all become so normal for me by now haha. I hope Claire
and Bexley had a fun Easter egg hunt!
I hope you all know that I am doing well and am happy here. It is such
a comfort and blessing to know that you are all well. I'll miss
Grandpa Jack, but he's done everything he was sent here to do and I
know he is happy and with Grandma. I've thought a lot about the Plan
of Salvation this last week and it's importance to me in my life. It
truly is a plan of happiness and brings great comfort and meaning to
life. I'm thankful for the opportunity that I have to share Heavenly
Father's plan for us and for families with these Armenian people. Our
family has brought me more happiness in my life than anything else and
gives me purpose to my life and it is the greatest blessing to know
that that will continue on after this life. Not only continue on, but
become something even grander than I think any of us can imagine. I'm
thankful for that knowledge and that that was taught to me by loving
parents and sisters. I love you all and hope that you are all doing
well and know that you are in my prayers. I hope you all have a great
week and I can't wait to hear from you next week.

Love,

Elder Fairclough

No comments:

Post a Comment