Thursday, April 19, 2012

April 2, 2012

Hey everyone!

How are you all doing this week?! I'm happy to say that I do again
have a voice. I'm not really sure what happened, but thankfully it
came back. This last week was another great one here in Armenia. We
had some changes take place. They surprise attacked me with a transfer
call haha. I'm no longer training Elder Rackham, which I was really
sad about. But I've been called as a Zone Leader again and I'm serving
with Elder Peterson. They moved the Zone Leader area to Erebuni, so
I'm staying in the same area. And Elder Rackham went to the city right
next to Erebuni so we are still in the same branch! We actually had
Zone Leader Council today, which is where all the Zone Leader's and
the Assistants to the President get together with President Carter and
we talk about the mission. It was really good and is always a very
spiritual experience. Due to the meeting though, we don't have a lot
of time to email today. I'm going to do my best to send you all a
little note but know that I will definitely have more time come next
week.
So, this last week has really just been a lot of getting used to the
changes. It is always interesting getting a new companion, and a
little awkward until you get to know the person. But I really like
Elder Peterson. He is from Leighton, Utah and is just a super happy go
lucky guy haha. It has been fun serving with him so far. He is from
the group that was in the MTC right before I was, so it has been
really interesting serving with someone older than me again. There
isn't quite as much stress with the language, which has been nice.
It's also been nice cause it has made me realize that I still have a
long way to go with the language myself. I guess a little bit more
about him, he is really good at singing and was in a lot of plays
before his mission. Not a whole lot in common, but we get a long well
and I really feel like we are going to get a lot of good work done
here. I'm excited!
The work is also going really well. Abraham is going to be having his
baptismal interview this week, which we are pumped about. It has been
really hard getting things going here in Erebuni, but I finally feel
like the hard work is starting to come around. Abraham is such a good
guy and keeps telling us how he is inviting EVERYONE to his baptism so
that they can see the path that he is going down. What a good guy. He
asked us the other day if he could video his baptism so that he could
put it on the internet for other people to see haha. We are still in
the process of explaining that one to him. To say the least, he is
really excited and we are too! We are also working on picking up some
new investigators. Last week with the transfer and some other stuff we
weren't really left with a whole lot of time to find. So we are really
focusing on that for this week. I love missionary work and the
continuous cycle of it all. There is always someone else out there,
ready to receive the gospel. It is just up to us to be worthy and to
work for it. I know that God is preparing people here in Armenia, as
well as all around the world. It just takes faith, a lot of hard work,
and a smile to get it all done :).
Here is some other good news...I bought my first pair of Armenian
dress shoes today. Haha I couldn't resist any longer. Armenian shoes
are pretty funny. A lot of times they are super pointy, but the ones I
got aren't. Not the most comfortable things, so I'm not going to be
tracting a ton in them but I figure I can wear them when it is time to
bring out the swagger. It is funny, Armenians are either wearing dress
shoes, or slippers haha. I mean sometimes they wear normal shoes, but
most the time they just wear European dress shoes with even jeans.
Gotta love Armenians. Anyways, my street cred here in Armenia just
went up today so I thought I'd let you all know.
I'm glad you all had such great experiences with Conference this
weekend! We actually are going to be able to watch Saturday's session
tomorrow after District Meeting, which I am way excited about. We'll
have to wait until the next Tuesday to watch Sunday's session and
Priesthood session but it is worth the wait. Then the 13 and 14 of
April we are going to watch it in Armenian with all of our members.
Normally we don't do that. In the past we have just gone in another
room and watched it in English while the members watched it in
Armenian. But the leaders here in Armenia asked President Carter if we
could watch it with the members cause apparently the members think if
the missionaries aren't there then they don't have to come. We're
still in the early stages here haha. So, we will be watching it in
English and Armenian which I am really looking forward to. They use
crazy words for the Conference talks but I'm interested to see how
much I understand. I'll be sure to let you all know in a couple weeks
after we watch it!
To close this letter I want to add a thought that Sister Carter
actually shared with us all. She was talking to us all about the
importance of Conference. She then asked us all a question. She said,
"If Jesus Christ and Heavenly Father were coming to earth this next
weekend to speak to us about the things that would help us the most at
this time, how many of you would go and watch?" She then shared D&C
1:38, that whether it is by His voice or the voice of His servants, it
is the same. I know that there is absolutely nothing better that we
could be doing at this time than to be listening to the servants of
God. I know that we have a Prophet, Apostles, and General Authorities
that speak for God today. I can't tell you all how excited I am to
watch Conference and hear what counsel they have to give. It is such a
blessing to be able to gather together and learn the things that are
the most important to us right now, at this time. Conference has
become such a special thing to me since I have been on my mission and
I'm thankful for the strength and guidance that it always brings.
I love you all and hope and pray that all is well back home! Thank you
for all that you do and I can't wait to hear from you all next week!

Love,

Elder Fairclough

No comments:

Post a Comment