Monday, July 11, 2011

July 11, 2011

Hey everyone! I think I say this every week but I can't believe it's Monday again already. It's crazy how fast weeks go by. You all sound like you are doing so good though! Things are going great here in Charentsavan still! It has been another great week of work and service. As for the investigator report...Some exciting news for this next upcoming week is that hopefully Larisa will be baptized this weekend. She is doing so well and has come such a long way and the Lord has really helped Elder Steglich and I with her through the teaching process. It is so fun to teach her. I'm not sure I've told you much about her yet but she is the sister of one of the members here in our branch. She is 28 but at some point in her life, I'm not quite sure when, she fell from a three story building which caused some complications with her memory and learning. But she is such an amazing person. She is so sweet and genuine. Like I said, the teaching process has been a little different with her from our other investigators. We've had to simplify some things and review a lot but I've truly been amazed at how fast she has progressed. Heavenly Father's hand truly has been in all of this. She always puts a big smile on Elder Steglich and my face and we are so happy for her. But yeah, we are hoping her baptism will be this weekend! It might not work out for this week though so I guess you'll all find out next week haha.
We've also had some really cool experiences with Silva and Tatevos this past week. Like you've read in previous emails, they are both doing so well and have really been prepared. But this week Elder Steglich and I needed to teach them the Word of Wisdom. And they've both been progressing really well so I was kind of worried that this might be a hold up for them, cause Silva drinks coffee and Tatevos smokes. Shows my lack of faith. Their lessons both went really well and at the end of both of their lessons they both committed to live the Word of Wisdom. I marveled at their answers though. When we went in to teach Tatevos and Tigran, Lusine had work unfortunately, the apartment smelled like smoke so we knew he had been smoking. And here in Armenia basically all men smoke. Women don't but its just kind of a social and cultural thing for men to smoke I guess. I'm not quite sure. But after we taught it and invited him to live the Word of Wisdom without hesitation he said ofcourse I will, its necessary. Didn't show any doubt that he couldn't do it but just talked about how it is necessary for him to stop and that he is going to stop that day. And then that same day we taught the Word of Wisdom to Silva and her response to our invitation was I drink coffee but I had no idea God didn't want me to. Now that I know I won't drink coffee anymore. What faith these people have! To be so willingly to give up things in their life and change the second they hear what God is asking of them. They are teaching me as much as I'm teaching them, if not more. They are such examples to me on following the Savior wholeheartedly. They are so great! Silva feeds us everytime we go to her place to teach, which is just about every day haha. She tells us that when we are in her house she is our mom cause we are so far away from our own. haha I thought you'd like that mom.
 Also, some really cool things happened at church yesterday. First off, Lusine came with Tatevos and Tigran which we were so so happy about. She has been working crazy hours this past week so we hadn't been able to meet with her, just Tatevos and Tigran. But all three of them were able to come to church yesterday and after Sacrament meeting Lusine came up to us and told us how much she missed us. Apparently she didn't get home from work until 4 am Sunday morning and she still came. I was so impressed. So many people would have just slept and said I'll go next week but she decided to come to church with her family. Like I said, these people are so amazing! And secondly, Ando was able to receive the Aaronic Priesthood yesterday! It was such a cool experience to be apart of. I can't wait to see him pass the Sacrament next week! I'll let you all know how it goes.
That should be it for investigators this week though. We are making good progress with everyone and still picking up new investigators too. I'll let you know about some of them as they start to progress a little bit. But we had to talk to Sister Carter this week and she told us something pretty cool. She told us that we are the busiest missionaries in the mission. I thought that was way cool. Just shows you how much the Lord is blessing this area right now. Especially because Elder Steglich and I are the youngest companionship in the mission. Just proves to me that this truly is the Lord's work and that he is leading the way. We are way excited about everything going on here in Charentsavan though and we are ready to start on out another great week!
I thought I'd tell you all about some of the food here. One thing they eat a lot here is something called Doma. Silva has fed it to us a couple times and so has Lusine and Tatevos. Its basically like ground up beef and rice wrapped in either cabbage leaves and grape leaves. Its really good. I'll have to take a picture of it and send it to you sometime so that you can have a visual. So that is really good. Now for something that I absolutely hate. They all eat this stuff called matsun. It is honestly the nastiest stuff I have ever put in my mouth. No joke. Its basically just natural yogurt and it has a real bitter and sour taste to it. Unfortunately, they LOVE it. Its like their cure all for everything. I've been able to avoid it for the most part but I'm not sure how much longer I can get away from it. One thing I love about Armenian's is there hospitality. There is really nothing like it. Take southern hospitality and times it by 10 haha. Everyone for the most part is really poor, but they still will go completely out of their way to feed you. And they get so preoccupied in making sure you have enough to eat and drink that sometimes its frustrating when you are trying to teach cause they are so focused on you. The only bad thing about it is when it comes to stuff like matsun they will just keep dishing it up. haha. So you have to be smart about eating in moderation and slowly haha. But I thought you might all be interested in some Armenian culture so there you go haha.
Everything is going well here though. I said last week that Elder Steglich and I survived transfers...not true haha. Apparently they just pushed it off until this next week because the oldest group of missionaries go home this next week. So hopefully we make it through this next week! haha. I'll let you know on that one as well. But I am really glad that you are all doing so well. I pray for you daily and hope that life is treating you all kindly haha. I love you and miss you all! Have a great week!


Love,
Elder Fairclough

No comments:

Post a Comment