Tuesday, June 28, 2011

June 27, 2011

Hey everyone! Thanks for all of your emails this week! I loved reading them as always. And congratulations London and Mike!!!!!!!!!!!! That is so amazing! I'm so happy for you both. I can't wait until I have two little neices I can play with! Well, its been another fantastic week here in Armenia. The work is going so incredibly well here. Elder Steglich and I have been blessed so much here in Charentsavan. We had our best and busiest week so far this past week. I'll start out as usual by telling you all about the work.
I'll start out by telling you about Lucine, Datevos, and Tigrane. They are the family we picked up this last week. They. Are. Amazing. They are such a good family and it is so fun to go and teach them. The spirit is always so strong in the meetings and they ask the questions that we usually have to pry out investigators. And after we taught them the Plan of Salvation lesson they asked us all these questions about temples and when they can go and how bad they want to go so that they can be together forever! It is so incredible to just see how prepared this family has been. They read The Book of Mormon together at night and pray as a family and they even came to church like 30 minutes early yesterday. Elder Steglich and I have no idea what we did to deserve this but we just keep praying that we don't mess things up haha.
We also picked up and investigator named Silva this past week. She was also a referral from a member and she is so great too. We went to teach her for the first time this past week and her daughter-in-law was there and one of her friends was there and they both just sat down with us and said they wanted to learn too. haha. We ended watched the restoration video and we could just see how it touched her. Then during the video, at the part where Joseph Smith's dad is baptized, she turned to all of us and said we all need to be baptized to her family that was in the room. haha. They were able to come to church yesterday too which we were way excited about.
And then Geyvork ended up bringing one of his friends to church yesterday and we picked him up as an investigator. We set an appointment to meet with him last night and when he came he brought his cousin who wanted to learn too! haha. So in all we picked up 6 new investigators this past week. And they all seem really solid so Elder Steglich and I are really pumped for this next week.
All our other investigators are doing well though. We are hoping to get Ando and Lida baptized this next week. We both feel like they are both ready. We've still got some things to work out but we'll see how things work out this week. Hopefully I'll have some good news of two new members here in Charentsavan next week! Other than that its just the same old, same old. We are really busy here. We have more work than we can handle sometimes. What a good problem to have! haha. We had 10 investigators at Sacrament yesterday which we were SO happy about. There were a total of 66 people at Sacrament so we felt like that was a pretty good ratio haha. There is no doubt that the Lord is in every detail of this work here. The Lord truly does qualify those whom He calls and the Lord qualifies us in our weaknesses. This doesn't apply to Elder Steglich nearly as much as me, because I have so many weaknesses and there is so much I need to improve with but I find it very comforting to know that as long as I'm doing my best the Lord will qualify me to do what he needs me to do. That is one thing that I have loved about my mission so far. Everyday is an opportunity to get better at something. I love setting goals and a way to accomplish them and then going out and working for it. But I've also learned that there is only so much we can do and just how necessary it is that we do our part and then turn it over to the Lord. That is when we are given the strength to improve ourselves, overcome struggles and trials, and accomplish what we've set out to do. And I know that this is true in every aspect of life, not just missionary work. This is something that has really helped me out so far and something I wished I had done before my mission.
This past week was Elder Steglich's birthday. He says thank you for wishing him a happy birthday mom. I tried to convince him that we needed to buy a cake but he wasn't having any of it. In the midst of me trying to persuade him to get a cake I realized that the only reason I was being so persistent was because I wanted to eat some cake. haha. So I gave up and we ended up going to a little shop and buying a ton of fruits and vegetables. I couldn't believe it. haha. Luckily, we celebrated at our district meeting the day before and our district leader brought a cake. I mean, what is a birthday without a cake. haha.
And probably the funniest thing of my entire life happened this past week. Remember a couple weeks ago when I told you about that older member who said he had the healing powers of Jesus Christ, he just doesn't use it? Well, this past week we asked him to come to a meeting with a woman because we needed another Priesthood holder present and he started talking about how he knows all these different languages. I mean he said he knew English, Russian, Latin, Spanis, Japanese, etc. And Elder Steglich took a little Japanese in high school so he told him to count to 10 in Japanese. Lets just say he was speaking a bunch of gibberish. haha. It was the funniest thing I've ever heard in my life. And then we asked him to speak English and he just started rambling off. When he was done he looked at us like we were supposed to understand him. He spoke a bunch of gibberish and through Armenia and just in there a couple times (the only two English words I think he knew haha). He then told Elder Steglich to say something to him in English and he would translate into Armenian. Elder Steglich said "how are you?" and he just shook his head and said "I can't understand you. You don't speak pure/clean English" haha. We were just like what in the world. And the best part is I caught it all on video. Its too big to send in an email but I'll show it to you all sometime in the future.
Well, that about does it for this week. Thank you for all your emails, prayers, and support! It really means alot to me. Know that you are all in my prayers and that I am so thankful for your love and to have you as my family. I hope you all have a great week and know that I love you all! Talk to you next week!
 
Love,
Elder Fairclough

No comments:

Post a Comment